Saturday 14 June 2014

Activating (almost) ZS/GP-001


I have just returned home after my first attempt at being a SOTA activator (goat)

Yesterday, I spent quite a long time carefully packing my kit in preparation for the trip. We awoke before sunrise and SWAMBO and I hit the road early, we arrived at our destination with some time to spare. In fact on the way I stopped to survey yet another summit: GP-002 on the way.

I immediately erected the telescopic fibre glass mask and hauled up the 20/40m linked inverted vee dipole. With that all done, we quickly took a few photographs for prosperity and then sat down and started connecting the Elecraft K2 to all the paraphernalia: Paddle, microphone, feed line and battery….. It was then I discovered a huge problem. The battery cable was not in the bag, I had inadvertently left it at home.

I had no choice, but to pack up and return home.

Even though no QSOs were made it still was a most pleasant experience. I recon I will do this again sometime.

Click on images for higher resolution.
Perdekop ZS/GP-001 view SE
ZS/GP-001 Perdekop



1 comment:

  1. I so much know what you are talking about! Once, I forgot a coax jumper I needed to connect my efhw tuner to radio. Fortunately in the parking lot somebody thrown away an aluminium beer can, so I have used my knife and a tape to make really really improvised PL-PL adaptor!

    ReplyDelete