Thursday 9 August 2012

“CQ DX4U EU up”



The DX stations often in an attempt to control the size of a pileup by using directional call e.g. “NA up” for example. The problem is the ‘wall’ created by Europe or the Americas or Asia can be substantial, so it is quite understandable that the DX operator will make use of the directional call system.

There is however a problem with this system. The operators very seldom if ever will call “AF”. That means we here in Africa have no option, but to ignore the directional call and each and every time we stand the chance of a rebuttal or worse a NIL log entry.

I managed to work 9M4SLL Spratley Island a few moments ago on 20m CW, the operator was extremely slick and was working and using the directional call system. He did respond to me during “NA”, but I distinctly got the feeling I was on thin ice……

I would like to know from others what we are to do. Do we disobey the directional call or do we call regardless?

 
I see CY9M Saint Paul Island has uploaded their logs to LoTW. That is a shining example of how it should be done. Because of this I have already made a small financial donation. I do not believe the QSL system should be used to extort funds.


73, Pierre ZS6A

3 comments:

  1. Here's my own theory Pierre - and it's only that...I may be dead wrong:

    I think when a DXpedition - let's assume a Caribbean Island - says "CQ EU" what he's really saying in a more tactful manner is "Americans, please shut-up for a while so I can work someone other than W's".

    I doubt one bit that such a station would have a problem with a ZS calling.

    On the other hand, if the upcoming 3B9 DXpedition says "CQ NA" I doubt they'd look kindly on ZS callers due to close proximity to ZS and limited openings to NA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,

    Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree with you…..

    BTW:

    At a guess if we count *all* the fellows in Africa that chase DX, I will be rather surprised if that number exceeds 20, (certainly below 30). So I guess no one should feel too offended if a African calls out of turn.

    73, Pierre ZS6A

    ReplyDelete
  3. The CY9M dxpedition has shown us how it should be on amateurradio. I agree with you about the QSL system. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete