Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Frustrations with LID’s, QRM and other nastiness….

You might be wondering what I am rambling on about again.

For a change I am in control of all of the above and yet I choose to live with it, and why?

Well I have been playing with the brilliant piece of software “Morse Runner” I had downloaded this software some years ago and never really thought it was worth much. I was wrong; this is a brilliant tool to sharpen CW contest skills. It is so incredibly realistic that one soon forgets that it is only a virtual contest. All the normal issues of: QRM, QRN, Flutter, chirp, poor operating technique and other LID like behavior is present. Even the ‘fists’ and character spacing is accurately replicated.

I have no doubt that if I had the discipline to use this tool for 30 minutes a day that my CW skills would improve in no time to a point where I would be more comfortable with ‘running’ in contests.

I believe, Alex Shovkoplyas VE3NE has done the amateur radio a huge favour by making this fantastic software available for free. I am sure thankful.


We have no excuse we can be contest ready at all times, regardless of the band conditions and or work schedules etc…..


Morse Runner 31 July 2012

3 comments:

  1. It really is very realistic. I try to use it a couple days before the big contests just to acclimate my mind/ear to how things will be. I also like the "Single Calls" function.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Pierre that Morse Runner is a most realistic piece of software. I also try and use it as often as possible to sharpen up my skills. It is one piece of software that stops you trying to guess a word and makes you concentrate on letters and numbers. I don't as a rule use the LID option as it can then get very frustrating!
    73 Ian ZL2AIM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ian,

    I was so pleased to hear from you again. Hope and trust New Zealand is treating you well.

    I am very impressed with Morse Runner, if only in the real world the pile up would have the same discipline when it comes to working with partials. I seems in the real world if you for example hear only “ZL2…..” and missed the rest if you reply with “ZL2” or “ZL2?” it is a signal for all stations to go ahead and call again.

    I don’t like venting my frustrations, but that is something that puzzles me no end. As far as I am concerned that is very impolite, possibly even rude?

    Morse Runner is great, if only I could somehow have the discipline to practice with it for 30 minutes a day.

    For the new comers that want to learn CW from scratch I will still recommend the G4FON Morse Trainer as being amongst the best programs available.

    Have Fun !!

    Pierre ZS6A

    ReplyDelete