Saturday 18 June 2011

QRP - Operation Leipzig

It has just been confirmed, I will be going to Europe as mentioned in an earlier post.

Using VOACAP online predictions it appears that I should concentrate on using 40m if I wanted to gain maximum benefit from operating QRP from Germany. The conditions on 20m would be such that I will be short skip to much of EU. 30m might be an option also, but I don’t know if it would be worth the effort?

I am planning to take along my HB-1A transceiver, DCP paddle. I most likely will use an external battery holder with rechargeable NiMH batteries.

I need to get organized and build myself a 40m End Fed Half Wave (EFHWA) field antenna and ATU. The EFHWA antenna has several advantages over other portable/field antenna options:

There feed line is very short, 2 or 3 meters at the most.
Apparently low ground losses and as such there is no need for radials or counterpoises.
The EFHWA needs only one support such as a tree limb.
Can be used in vertical, sloping, inverted vee and inverted L configuration.
No guys or other supports required.
The QRP antenna matching unit is very simple, small (compact) and weighs almost nothing.


I sure hope all the hype about the EFHWA antenna is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment