Monday 21 May 2012

Decoding melodious whispers on 10m


This past weekend I played with JT65-HF on 10m.

I was once again overwhelmed at how well it works. I was using slightly less than 5 watts and a rotating dipole at 8 metres AGL.

I worked a bunch of European stations with this low power setup. The two contacts that stand out were with IK4UXA, he was using 2 watts and a sloper and the other was with HG9SM, he was using 1 watt and a ground plane antenna.

This is pretty amazing; it is highly unlikely that QSOs could have been possible using CW under the circumstances.

73, Pierre ZS6A


Screen shot of 2X QRP QSO with IK4UXA

3 comments:

  1. Good morning Pierre, I have tried JT-65HF in the past but was not able to get past setting up the rig to key up at the right time. Also the sound card setup was frustrating as well. So I never really got on the air....yet. Great you were able to concur the mode and make some contacts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Michael,

    Fortunately I had absolutely no problem setting up JT65-HF.

    I suggest you try again. It is most impressive to see how well it works under adverse conditions.

    Having said that, I still enjoy my rubber stamp CW QSOs more. It still requires human skills and provides a sense of accomplishment which digital does not do.

    73, Pierre ZS6A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Michael and Pierre Stefano ik4uxa only qrp and qrpp :-) I apologize for my English I'm using the google translator ....

    Michael I can post this link
    http://www.mymorninglight.org/ham/psk.htm

    I recommend using a USB sound card for laptop of good quality and you'll see that the results will come.

    Thanks Pierre for the contact and to have put on your blog of our connection to the screen.

    72 de Stefano ik4uxa/qrp

    ReplyDelete